Types Of Allergies & Symptoms To Look Out For
People can be allergic to many things, but most fall into four main allergy categories.
Things that are inhaled
- Examples: pollen, dust, mold, mold spores and pet dander
Things that are eaten
- Examples: dairy, eggs, shellfish, gluten, wheat, and nuts
Things that are injected
- Examples: penicillin and other medications
Things that are touched
- Examples: nickel in costume jewelry, dyes in nail polish and shampoos and latex
Reactions to these allergies can be as mild as a stuffy nose or as severe as death. Allergic reactions are unique to you and reaction times to allergens can vary widely. Some may have an allergic reaction immediately and others may take time to develop.Different types of allergies.
When the immune system involves either the Immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibody or T-cells. Once the immune system is triggered
- The white blood cells produce antibodies
- The antibodies detect and help destroy invaders by producing histamine
- Histamine triggers the inflammatory response
Symptoms of the resulting immune reaction can include:
- breathing problems
- eye irritation
- nasal congestion
- nausea and vomiting
- back aches
- joint pain
Sensitivity – is a reaction to a substance. A sensitivity involves no immune system response, but it can still yield a multiplicity of symptoms, ranging from issues in the digestive tract to neurological problems.Some of the issues associated with sensitivities can become life threatening, especially if someone is exposed to a substance repeatedly.
Symptoms of sensitivities can include:
- weight loss
- constant upper respiratory infection
- general feeling of being unwell
- brain fog
Intolerance – is a digestive system response, or the inability to digest or break down a particular food. This means the digestive system is not producing sufficient quantities of a particular enzyme/chemical, needed to break down the food and aid digestion.
Symptoms of intolerance can include:
- Gas, cramps, or bloating
- Stomach pain
- Irritability or nervousness
- Allergies, sensitivities, and intolerances should all be taken seriously.
- Medical professionals all over the world are taught to look for and treat the symptoms of disease rather than diagnose the underlying causes. By treating the underlying causes, these symptoms could be reduced or eliminated permanently.
- When left untreated, allergies can trigger symptoms of disease becoming serious life threatening illnesses.
At The Healing Center we can support you in the management and treatment for an allergy, sensitivity or intolerance.This is well explained in the book Say Goodbye To Illness by Devi S. Nambudripad, M.D. (WI), D.C., L.Ac., Ph.D. (acu). Dr. Starling has worked to perfect the technique of Dr. Nambudripad over time. By combining NAET with chiropractic and functional medicine, she provides a whole body solution to disease care and can quickly help you with many lingering problems.
Contact us today to learn more about Colorado allergy care for patients in and near Denver.