The Incredible Edible Egg
Hi, I'm Dr. Marie Starling.
At The Healing Center, we help people like you reach their full potential.
I specialize in adjunctive care for internal disorders, autoimmune conditions, IBS, thyroid symptoms, diabetes, and other complex health issues.
By, Lisa Biederman, CNTP
At the Healing Center, we focus on the bioindividuality of each patient. Many patients have allergies or sensitivities to eggs and benefit from avoiding them. For those that can eat eggs, we always recommend free range eggs from pastured raised chickens. Based on studies, these nutrient-dense eggs have twice the amount of Omega 3s than their caged counterparts. Eggs are packed with protein, amino acids, vitamins, minerals and choline, which is a nutrient important for cell membranes and brain health. Read more about multitude of benefits that eggs have on our cells, brains, eyes, skin, and heart health in this article from our friends at Health Ambition:
This delicious gluten-free pancake recipe from The Paleo Mom is a great way to use your nutrient-rich pasture raised eggs:
Perfect Paleo Pancakes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10-20 minutes (depending on the size of your skillet)
Servings: 6 large 5-6″ diameter pancakes
- 2 largegreen plantains (about 2 cups pureed)
- 2 tspvanilla
- 3 Tbspextra virgin coconut oil
- 1/8 tspsalt (a generous pinch)
- ½ tspbaking soda
- Extracoconut oil for frying
- Peel plantains (I find it easier to quarter them before I peel them) and place pieces in yourblender (preferred) or food processor (okay) with the eggs. Blend to form a smooth batter.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to theblender or food processor and process on high for an additional minute (or 2-3 with a food processor to get a really good smooth batter).
- Heat 1 Tbsp of coconut oil in afrying pan or on a griddle over medium-high heat. Pour batter into the frying pan until your pancake is the desired size.
- Let cook 4-5 minutes on the first side, until the top looks fairly dry with little bubbles in it (just like regular pancakes!).
- Flip! And cook on the second side for 1½-2minutes.
- Repeat with remaining batter, adding a little more coconut oil to your pan as needed.