Fighting The Holiday Stress
Hi, I'm Dr. Marie Starling.
At The Healing Center, we help people like you reach their full potential.
I specialize in adjunctive care for internal disorders, autoimmune conditions, IBS, thyroid symptoms, diabetes, and other complex health issues.
Written By LuCinda Miller
The holidays are upon us! Although the holidays are full of celebration, they can also be a great source of stress for many. Dealing with crowds and long lines, attending back to back parties, eating too much, drinking too much, along with exercising too little and sleeping too little can take a toll on even the jolliest of souls. Here are a few tips to help make it through this holiday season:
- Sunshine – Get outside on a sunny day. Research has shown that sun exposure boosts serotonin levels known to improve mood and fight off the winter blues. (Lambert GW1, 2002)
- Exercise – Exercise releases endorphins, natural chemicals your body uses to combat pain and stress. Listen to your body and do what feels good that day whether it’s as gentle as a short walk or as strenuous as an hour long class. Your body knows what will rejuvenate and what will deplete, listen.
- Organize – Keep your calendar updated and remember to choose carefully what you allow on it! Grant yourself permission to pick and choose the events you want to attend and not choose them out of obligation or guilt. Keep to-do lists handy, staying organized can help you feel a sense of control in the midst of the chaos.
- Sleep – Sleep is your body’s time to rest and restore. Without it, we are less capable of handling stress. If you absolutely can’t get your 8 hours, try power napping for 20 minutes.
In addition to the tips mentioned above, let the team at The Healing Center help you deal with it all! Come see us for the following services:
- Adjustments – Chiropractic adjustments balance the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system, calming the fight or flight response and moving you into a state of rest and digest.
- Emotional Clearings – The holidays can stir many emotions from memories of loved ones lost to family conflict. If you are experiencing emotional turmoil, it is time to come see us for emotional clearings. We can identify and release these emotions and help you to embrace a joyful holiday season.
- Allergy Clearings – It is easy to get triggered this time of year. Eating out can present many food triggers. In addition, stress compromises the gut diminishing the strength of the immune system and leaving you vulnerable to allergic reactions. We can identify and clear those triggers using NAET, a non-invasive allergy elimination technique.
- Massage – Massage is a very effective tool for relieving stress. Call to schedule a massage today with our very own Larry Amos!
- Adaptogenic Herbs – There are many herbs available to help the body deal with the effects of stress. The formula we prefer is Adaptocrine from Apex Energetics.
- Adaptogenic Herbs: Ginseng, Ashwagandha, Holybasil, Rhodiola, Eleuthero, Astragalus, Cordyceps
- Essential Oils – Find an oil or blend that smells good to you, that is how you know it is effective for you. Oils to try: Lavendar, Frankincense, Orange, Vanilla, Chamomile, and Rose.
Lambert GW1, R. C. (2002, December 7). PubMed.gov. Retrieved December 1, 2014, from National Center for Biotechnology Information: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12480364