By Dr. Marie Starling DC, DCCN and Jessica Yoches, CNTP, MNT
Have you been from doctor to doctor in our day of modern medicine but still have no relief for what is causing you distress? Functional medicine may be what you have been searching for.
Functional medicine is the practice of getting to the root of the issue by looking at the mechanisms of what’s not working in your body and then restoring that function.
Functional Medicine is grounded in the following principles:
- Biochemical individuality describes the importance of individual variations in metabolic function that derive from genetic and environmental differences among individuals.
- Patient-centered medicine emphasizes “patient care” rather than “disease care.”
- Dynamic balance of internal and external factors.
- Interconnections of physiological factors – research now shows how the human body functions as an orchestrated network of interconnected systems, rather than individual systems functioning autonomously and without effect on each other.
- Health as a positive vitality– not merely the absence of disease.
- Promotion of organ reserve as the means to enhance health span.
In functional medicine, there are only three things that can go wrong with your body:
- There’s something there that shouldn’t be there. (e.g. pathogens like parasites, fungi, viruses, infections (clinical or sub-clinical); and environmental toxicity such as mold and heavy metals.)
- There’s something not there that should be there. (e.g. deficiencies, gene SNP or a mutation in your genome to where you cannot make things properly like chemicals, neurotransmitters or detoxification like you’re supposed to.)
- There’s dysfunction of a system(s) in your body. (e.g. detoxification, small intestine issues, neurological imbalance, hormone imbalance, blood sugar imbalance, etc.)
At this office, we eliminate what is not necessary; restore what is missing; and address dysfunctions to break vicious loops that drive systems into dysfunction.
Ignoring these stressors, deficiencies, and dysfunctions in the body is what leads to symptoms; over time these symptoms turn into conditions or diseases.
Our goal is to address these breakdowns before they turn into a disease state, or to help you manage a diagnosis of a disease or condition.
Both Dr. Marie Starling and Dr. Caitlin Landerholm specialize in functional medicine. The first appointment includes:
- A complete and detailed physical examination
- Medical history
- Neurological exam
- Bio-resonance scan
- Muscle testing exam
- Structural and allergy assessments
- Determination of what labs are needed
At the second visit, patients are presented with what is going on, what changes need to be made, and a plan for their care. Care includes:
- Elimination diet
- Supporting detoxification
- Blood sugar regulation
- Hormonal balance
- Breaking vicious loops
- Neurological rehabilitation
- Chiropractic adjustments
- NAET/BioSET Allergy Technique
- GB400 frequency generator
- Ionic Footbath
- Energy work
- Various forms of massage
Dr. Starling’s and Dr. Landerholm’s intention is to restore function to all systems in the body with a protocol of care unique to each patient that provides access to each patient’s full potential. If you found this information interesting or helpful please share it with someone in your life and like the article on our Facebook page!